Driveway Patrol claims that it increases your home security by monitoring your driveway. It's basically a driveway motion detector that works like a door bell. So if a person or car approaches you'll be alerted inside your home. Find out if it works on a consistent basis in this "Does it Work" test.
- Place the Driveway Patrol transmitter outside and put the receiver inside.
- Installs in seconds and no tools or wires are needed.
- When someone approaches, it sends a signal to alert you over a 400 foot range.
- Wireless driveway alarm system employs advanced infrared motion detection technology.
- Use it to detect visitors, vehicles, intruders or kids coming and going.
- Use it anywhere in your home to monitor the mailbox, front door, garage or driveway.
- It comes with one transmitter and one receiver.
- It requires 3C cell batteries and one 9V battery which are not included.
Driveway Patrol Test Results
In the video, Kim found that it didn't work from the 400 feet distance like the infomercial claims. Even at 100 feet it was inconsistent. She moved the receiver over a few inches on the table and found it started to work. Only by positioning it in her front entrance, a mere 25 feet from the outside sensor, was she able to get it to work consistently.When the unit rang Kim thought it was really loud and felt it could get annoying after a while. Even the low setting is quite loud.
Overall Kim thought it might be a nice solution for someone in a small home as long as the driveway was not too far away from the house.
What Others are Saying
- Numerous false alarms from many different sources including pets, flying insects, small animals, windy days and heat over 90F.
- Inconsistent alarm - There was no alarm at all sometimes when a guest would walk by or car or would enter the driveway.
- Others found that moisture caused the unit to malfunction or stop working all together. One lady went so far as to buy a bird house for it.
A Few Handy Tips
- One lady found that using a 9 volt lithium battery for the outside motion detector was better. Compared to a regular battery, lithium isn't as sensitive to temperature changes and works better in the cold. Also, they have the added benefit of lasting 5-7 times longer than a regular battery.
- The sensitivity of the motion sensor can be altered by placing black electrical tape over the sensor window.
Driveway Patrol's main benefit is that it's an affordable alternative to a more expensive alarm - $20 vs a $120 driveway alarm. The big down side is that it may not work specifically as advertised and you may need to work out the bugs or McGeiver a system so that it works for your specific needs. If you want something that works right out of the box it's best to go for the more expensive driveway alarms. Here's another car care item called the Wash and Wax Sponge that you may want to check out.