The Maxiglide Hair Straightener infomercial claims its better than regular flat irons due to its magical "steam burst technology". I'm like most of you ladies out there...sooo incredibly skeptical about those fake models with their fake smiles and phony testimonials. I can't even stand watching them and end up switching channels. Of course those of us with super curly hair would love to easily transform our hairstyle into a sleek, silky just stepped out of the salon look. So we all hold out hope that just maybe, you can you really get silky smooth hair with a few passes of the Maxiglide.
MaxiGlide Straightener Claims
- The Ceramic Steamburst Technology is infuses the negative ions of your hair which makes your hair cuticles flat and smooth without damaging your hair.
- The main plate has detangling pins that are supposed to help create flat smooth hair. You can swap it out with an extra flat plate for more styling options and for touchups.
- Creates smooth, straight hair in just minutes, without blow drying the hair smooth first.
- Steamburst Technology - just press the gray button for a bit of steam.
- Removable water reservoir - easily snaps on and off for quick refills.
- Ten heat settings to address your specific hair texture.
There are basically two different Maxiglide sets that you can get. The unusual thing I noticed is that the original large Maxiglide alone sells for the same price as the "Maxi and Miniglide combo" on HSN. They both go for around $90. I can't figure out why the combo isn't more because you get a FAR better value with the combo since it comes with a Maxi and Miniglide and all these hair care products.
- Biggest positive is that it really DOES work like in the infomercial. There are many, many positive testimonials that say that it leaves your hair silky, smooth, very straight and shiny. Actually many ladies mentioned that their straight hair stayed nice all week not just one day!
- It also works if you live in a humid climate and it won't frizz back up. Also if your hair's texture is course it still makes it sleek and smooth. Plus there are none of those little frizzies after you try and straighten your hair.
- Many positive reviews from women with kinky African American hair it really helped their hair to stay straight.
- Price is very reasonable for all the product that you get if you are looking at getting the Maxi and Miniglide combo for $90.
- Clear instructions on the DVD that walks you through exactly how to use the iron.
- Saves you the step of blow drying your hair so it cuts down your hair styling time to around 20 minutes total.
- Biggest Problem - The plate with the detangling pins seems to be a problem with pulling and breaking hair. You can swap out this plate with the smooth plate which seems to work much better. Also you can follow the DVD or the suggestions below to try and avoid this from happening although still some ladies are having problems with the detangling pin plate.
- Some ladies find the Maxiglide awkward, heavy and too big to use. The Maxiglide is a lot larger than a standard flat iron. The plate surface of almost 4 inches so it might take some getting used to.
- If you have short hair you won't be able to use the Maxiglide which has the steam. You can use the mini straight iron but it doesn't have the steam.
- Also I have to add that there are many stylers on the market that both curl and straighten your hair whereas MaxiGlide only straightens. It's nice to have the variety to do both because most of us get tired of one hair style.
- Condition your hair well and I would still use a heat resistant spray before using the iron - just so you know for sure your hair will be protected from heat damage.
- Comb through your hair thoroughly before using the iron than spritz a lot of the heat resistant product on each small section of hair. Then slowly run the Maxiglide through each section one piece at a time. If you still have problems you can change the detangling plate to the flat plate. The company probably doesn't tell you this but personally I would always use heat resistant spray no matter what hot, hair styling tool your using.
- The company suggests to first use the steam burst on the last 1/4 section of your section of hair. Then start at the top and smooth your way down.
- If your hair is shorter or if you want to style your kids hair you can use a Miniglide which is a smaller version of the Maxi.
- Vary the temperature depending on your hair type. Fine, thin hair uses a lower temperature compared to thick course hair. Only use just enough heat to straighten your hair.
The Maxiglide Straightener is getting tons of really good reviews and most ladies are seeing extremely good results. I like the fact that this company cares about their products and they've invested 7 years into designing it. So you know it's not a fly by night got-to-get-my-product-on-the-market-now kind of company. By the way, if you ever wondered if the Split Ender works as advertised have a look at this!