Hoodia Gordonii appears to be the real Hoodia because scientists claim it is the one with the active ingredient P57. Although there's still a big problem. If you ever typed in "Hoodia” into a search engine it will return a cross section of both good and bad information. You'll find hundreds of companies selling hoodia and cautioning you not to buy the competitor's useless hoodia pills. There are many misconceptions, untruths and grey areas surrounding all Hoodia products. Just try to compare different brands of Hoodia diet products at your local health food store. It will literally make your head spin! Which Hoodia product is the real deal?
- Hoodia Gordonii originates from South Africa - no other continent or region can lay claim.
- Genuine Hoodia must have a CITES Certificate and Proof of Origin accreditation.
- No other ingredient should be present - Pure Undiluted Hoodia P57 powder is all that is necessary.
- Hoodia suppresses appetite - it does not burn fat, block carbohydrates or increase your energy levels.
- A standard sized capsule contains 400 mg not 750mg or even 1000mg - anything above 400mg is diluted with potentially harmful filler ingredients and additives.
- Hoodia is a non addictive substance.
- Oprah Winfrey has NOT used any Hoodia Gordonii branded diet pill.
The Problems With Most Hoodia Products
- The basic problems with all Hoodia products is that many advertisers insinuate, infer, and often deliberately mislead consumers into thinking that a cactus of any type, from any country will suppress the appetite.
- There are widespread reports of counterfeit hoodia products. Mike Adams of Natural News estimates that 80% of hoodia products are contaminated or counterfeit. It's impossible to know if a hoodia product contains pure hoodia and the active ingredient, unless it has been tested by an independent laboratory. Although, even when companies can produce a certificate, some companies may have submitted a genuine sample of hoodia to the lab to obtain the seal of authenticity and then used adulterated hoodia in the production run.
Cheaper, less potent Hoodia can be purchased and is rife in the US. Replica or synthetic P57 is now being manufactured. This is not natural and should be avoided however tempting the price may be.
Counterfeit and adulterated hoodia products exist because the supply is scarce. In my last What is Hoodia post, I mentioned that this is a plant that is difficult to grow and takes four to five years in a very hot environment to mature.
Pure Hoodia’s greatest and only asset is the Hoodia Gordonii plant itself. Hoodia Gordonii is now an endangered species and so has to harvested and replanted under strict UN guidelines.
- The July 2007 issue of “O”, The Oprah Magazine included an article written by Mary Fischer called, “Diet Pills: The Next Generation.”Many Hoodia companies claim that because "O Magazine" published this article, it means Oprah personally endorses Hoodia. Some companies go so far as to say that she specifically endorses their product! Not true!
Are There Side Effects to Hoodia?
- Most experts seem to agree that the pure Hoodia itself has no negative side effects. Despite its popularity, there are no published randomized controlled trials in humans to show hoodia is safe or effective in pill form.
- The problem is when you buy Hoodia that isn't 100% pure. It’s actually the fillers in the product that make the [tags]hoodia gordonii[/tags]product unsafe.
Please read more about this issue on about.com from a nutritionist.
Jasjit S. Bindra, PhD, former researcher for hoodia at Pfizer (the pharmaceutical giant that licensed the rights to develop hoodia for $21 million but later returned the rights), stated in a letter to The New York Times that although hoodia did appear to suppress appetite, there were indications of unwanted effects on the liver caused by components OTHER THAN the active ingredient p57 that could not easily be removed through processing.
Here's an honest resource: Real Hoodia does actually work. If you want to read about someones honest personal experience with Hoodia please read this review on NaturalNews.com
Hoodia Gordonii and all the hype surrounding hoodia products is definitely overwelming. The Hoodia sites have either buyer's guides, hoodia ratings, and hoodia comparisons on the internet. Be very careful because most of these cleverly designed sites have been secretly created by companies selling hoodia. I guess there's obviously a lot of money to be made in this industry.