The Big Top Cupcake kit just might put some fun back into baking again. If you or your kids love cupcakes, you may have been eyeing the Big Top Cupcake infomercial. Not sure why they need so many names but on QVC they have changed the name to the "Colossal Cupcake". Is it as easy to assemble as they mention on the infomercials? You know how those infomercials are notorious for making things appear bigger, easier and better than they really are.
- The set is a silicone non-stick mold which includes a top mold, bottom mold, and removable insert.
- The removable insert creates a well for your favorite filling such as pudding, ice cream, whipped cream, fresh fruit or mousse.
- Simply bake, assemble, decorate and enjoy.
- Fully assembled the giant cupcake measures approximately 6-1/2"Diam x 7"H which is 25 times bigger than a regular cupcake.
- You'll enjoy creating different cupcake flavors and themes for different occasions and kids love em!
- Baked cupcake comes out from the pan nice and clean.
- Freezer and dishwasher safe, heat-resistant to 500F
- It's not as easy to bake and put it together as they show in the infomercial. This is the fault of the instructions. They aren't professional and don't explain how much cake batter to use and how much to fill up the pans. (please see hints below)
- Some ladies have reported the cupcake collapsing after they cut into it.
- Decorating is also tedious especially if you're trying to decorate it as nice as shown in the pictures shown here.
- The cupcake isn't as big as it looks in the infomercial due to the fancy camera tricks.
Baking Hints for Giant Cupcakes
- Use only 1 box of cake mix. As you can see in the video, 2 boxes ends up being far too much batter.
- Spray the mold with oil before pouring the batter in.
- Use a cookie sheet to place the pans on when baking.
- These pans are deep, so that makes for long cooking times. The directions say 30 - 35 minutes for the top and 45 - 50 minutes for the base. In actuality it takes more than an hour to fully cook the cake. Cook it at 325 to 350 depending on your oven.
(These are the instructions from the QVC site)
Using the pan without the filling Insert
- The batter mix will measure approximately 4 cups. Pour 2-3/4 of the batter into the bottom mold and the remaining 1-1/4 into the top mold.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. The top mold may bake more quickly than the bottom mold. Cooking time depends on your oven and the altitude of where you live. Just keep checking if it's done by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean it's time to remove from the oven.
Using the pan with the filling Insert
- The batter mix will measure approximately 4 cups. Pour 2 cups of the batter into the bottom mold and the remaining 2 cups into the top mold.
- Place the insert inside the bottom mold and make sure the insert overlaps the sides of the mold. Bake 45-50 minutes. Again, the top mold may bake more quickly than the bottom so do the toothpick method to make sure it's done.
- If the cake in the bottom part of the mold rises over the edge, simply trim the edges off and fill the bottom with slightly less batter next use. (note that different climates/altitudes affect baking results)
- Once out the oven, place in the freezer for 8-10 minutes or on the counter for 15 minutes.
- For a more stable cupcake they recommend that you trim the top and bottom halves with a serrated knife. Also use frosting between the two layers.
- Before you add ice cream or fruit, freeze the bottom cupcake for 30-40 minutes.
- You might find that homemade icing is firmer and easier to work with than the store bought kind. The hardest part is decorating it. Frost it fast than put it in the fridge to harden up since it will drip. Then take it out and add final touches.
A Few Recipe Ideas
Chocolate Lovers Cake – Chocolate cake mix with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate icing Strawberry Short Cake - White cake mix with strawberry glaze filling and whip cream icing
Carrot Cake - Carrot cake mix with cream cheese icing
Boston Cream Cake - Chocolate cake with pudding filling and chocolate icing
You can find these $20 pans at Walmart for sure because I saw them there over Christmas. You may be able to find them at Walgreens now, bigtopcupcake.com and eBay.
Seen On TV Big Top Giant Silicone Cupcake Mold Bakery Birthday Cake Muffin X2
Time Remaining: 17h 55m
BIG TOP CUPCAKE NON STICK SILICONE BAKEWARE CAKE MOLD EASY FILL INSERT BOOK
Time Remaining: 6d 8h 17m
Buy It Now for only: $12.99
Big Top Cup Cake Silicone Pan and Handy Gourmet 3 Tier non stick Cake Pan
Time Remaining: 1d 19h 40m
3 Pack Giant Big Silicone Cupcake Cake Mould Top Cupcake Bake Set Baking Mold EO
Time Remaining: 22d 23h 47m
Buy It Now for only: $9.12
1 Carnival Circus BIG TOP Tent Decoration Party CUPCAKE Holder Centerpiece
Time Remaining: 3d 16h 22m
3 Pack Giant Big Silicone Cupcake Cake Mould Top Cupcake Bake Set Baking Mold 88
Time Remaining: 4d 13m
Buy It Now for only: $9.57
Mini Boden Girl BIG Cupcake Cookie Cafe shirt top sz 9 10 purple
Time Remaining: 5d 9h 34m
Buy It Now for only: $9.00
3 Pack Giant Big Silicone Cupcake Cake Mould Top Cupcake Bake Set Baking Mold T8
Time Remaining: 3d 19h 35m
Buy It Now for only: $9.59
BIG TOP CUPCAKE NON STICK SILICONE BAKEWARE CAKE MOLD EASY FILL WorldWide Ship
Time Remaining: 6d 9h 27m
Buy It Now for only: $14.00
3 Pack Big Silicone Cupcake Cake Mould Top Cupcake Bake Set Baking Mold TT
Time Remaining: 7d 15m
Buy It Now for only: $9.55
BIG TOP CUPCAKE SILICONE BAKEWARE NEW IN BOX 2 PC SET + IDEA BOOK
Time Remaining: 5d 18h 50m
3 Pack Giant Big Silicone Cupcake Cake Mould Top Cupcake Bake Set Baking Mold S3
Time Remaining: 13d 4h 37m
Buy It Now for only: $9.65
Big Top Cupcake is getting mixed reviews. The majority of negative reviews is because the instructions aren't clear. Although if you can tweak them a bit to make them work for you, you'll enjoy this pan. If you're looking for more clever kitchen gadgets, here's a review of the Lid Punch which helps you open your jars easier.