Organize your kitchen with these simple tips! Want to stay on top of kitchen clutter but always keep putting it off until another day? It sometimes seems like a daunting task. Tired of fumbling through your kitchen drawers or pantry cupboard to find what you need? If we could organize two things in the kitchen it would be kitchen cupboards and drawers. Those are the two biggest time wasters in most households. Here are some quick, helpful tips on how to organize your pantry, cupboards and drawers.
How To Organize A Kitchen Drawer
Tired of all those junky kitchen item...half of which you don't use or need? It's a bit dangerous when you start stabbing your fingers on those sharp kitchen knives. Professional organizer, Mary Astadourian shows us a few simple steps to cleaner kitchen drawers.
- Empty your drawer completely so you can see everything you have in it.
- Group similar items - Serving utensils, knives and spatulas can be grouped to help you see what you have and what you need. If you have too many of one type of item, you can get rid of it.
- You can use drawer dividers and containers to split your drawer up into manageable sections. If you have odd-shaped drawers, you can get smaller, individual drawer containers. Then it’s easier for you to customize the layout to your space. It's a good idea to measure your drawers before you go container shopping.
- Now it’s easier to put everything back into your drawer keeping like items together. Everything now has a place and fits perfectly!
How to Organize a Kitchen Pantry
It's frustrating and time consuming when you have to hunt to find what you need in either your kitchen pantry or your kitchen cupboards. Also when you want to do a grocery run, you're not sure what you're out of. Tall cupboards and shelves are a problem since you can't see the cans that are right at the back. Here's how you can put your pantry in order.
- Take everything out of your pantry shelves so you can see what you've got. You might have some multiple items such as things you bought over and over again because you didn't know you had one already. You might even find a few surprises in there!
- Put everything in like groups. You can put the canned goods, the bread foods and the snacks in different groups. As you're grouping you can check the foods' expiration dates and freshness.
- Now you can look inside your cupboards and think through how you want everything arranged. Put your grouped foods in containers so it's easier to access and so you can pull them in and out of the pantry. Loose food can be taken out of the boxes and put into airtight containers. Clear, stackable containers are great to save you space and help you see what's inside.
- You've sorted, grouped and containerized all your food items so now the most rewarding step. Put your food back into your pantry. Move things around and experiment with how to get the best fit. Keep things you use frequently towards the front and at eye level. I love the idea of having step organizers for deep shelves. Now you can see what's way at the back.
- Once you've decided where everything should go, label the container or spot on the shelf. This will help you keep it in the same spot. If you want to change the container's contents remember to change the label too.
Organize your kitchen tackling these two problem areas seems the best place to start. Sometimes you just need quick and easy ideas on how to get out of a rut to start making your life a little easier. I'm starting to sound like Miss Suzie Homemaker here. I'm far from it! Here are two more interesting and informative yet simple tips on green cleaners.